Tomato dissection an easy and fun project for you to work on together as a family…particularly during lunch! Here’s all you need for this simple at-home science experiment:
- 1 tomato (any “seedy” fruit or vegetable will work, really)
- Plate or cutting board
- A knife
- Before you cut the tomato open, ask your child, “How many seeds do you think are in this tomato?” Write down your child’s guess.
- Cut your tomato in half and begin to count the seeds. Group them into groups on ten so you can easily keep count.
We’ve Got Questions!
- Did you guess the right number of seeds? Did you think there would be more or less?
- How many tomato plants could grow from the seed? Hint: It only takes one seed to grow one plant!
- What does a seed need to grow?
- What might stop a seed from growing?
- What should go in the salad/sandwich you plan to make using this tomato?